Quilt Surgery

Most often, only a few minor things go wrong when I'm long arming. Then, sometimes, something really goes wrong. Like this:

This is NOT good!
I spent a while underneath Night Stars removing this mess and then had to figure out what exactly happened here. Any guesses?

The person who guessed mis-threading the machine gets the prize! I had missed the take-up eye when switching out threads. It astounds me how one missed piece of the thread path will hose up what would have been an otherwise perfectly good stitch.

I am about 3/4 of the way through Night Stars now and after this little mishap, decided to end the long arming portion of my day.

While digging out WIP's on Sunday, I threw some Quilt U fails onto my sewing desk. They've been bugging me since then and I had to take care of these. I couldn't consciously put them back on the shelves and they were cluttering up my otherwise neat work space. Here's what I came up with.

Little Table Runner
I'll quilt this out on Mike and probably donate it to our Bazaar this fall.

I had some fabric left over from this little project and decided to combine efforts. I want to thank the following three [free] websites/Youtube channels for their contributions: The Crafty Gemini, Shabby Fabrics, and Craftsy-Bag Making Basics.

I want to make draw string bags for quilt camp this year; my quilt fairy contribution. I selected the best from each of the three sites above and started writing out a pattern and directions to accomplish the task.

This is a new avenue for me. I'm more of a 'same but different' kind of girl, and when it comes to actually sewing, even more so. I wanted to run a prototype through the process to see if I figured and calculated everything right. It seems I'm not so lame after all since it worked! The blue bag was done from one of sites and the yellow bag is the combination of them all.

Getting the ball rolling on the quilt fairy gifts.
Even after sifting through my convoluted directions, and adding more verbiage, it took a little under an hour. It would take Wendy about 10 minutes. Okay, five then, but nobody likes a showoff (wink, wink).

The weather is providing an excellent day to work in here (it's cold, gloomy, and a bit snowy) and I haven't a clue where I'm going with the day. Until tomorrow...

Comments

Popular Posts