Thread!

I'm starting to love thread. I don't know just how many colors/varieties I've used in my guild RBR, but here's an idea.

13 + 1
The +1 is for the bobbin thread not shown above. All of these threads are in the RBR somewhere.

At the same time, I don't like thread. Cotton thread is fickle. Tension adjustments have to be done constantly when the humidity spikes or dives (I'm finding out). When I move to a heavy poly thread, tension has to be eased back a bit. When I use a finer thread, I have to turn up the tension a quarter crank. Ask me how I know all of this.

At any case, and with diligent long-arming yesterday, I was able to pull RBR off DW before I shut down for the night. I'm checking out all the weird tension issues as I'm snipping threads off the back and I'm not very happy. I would pull them and fix all those nasty eyelashes, but this is a wall hanging and won't be laundered or used heavily so it's just going to have to stay the way it is. I'm hoping now that the quilt has been let loose for a while it will relax and fix some of the thread issues I'm concerned with (actually, I can see that it already has).

When I'm long arming, I keep the quilt probably a little to tight on the frame. I've never had any puckers or wrinkles on the back and I'd rather have a few eyelash issues then pleats or puckers thank you very much.

Class today, and prior to that I have errands to run, so no studio work, per se. I may come home and bind the RBR since I did get that made before shutting down last night and it's just sitting there waiting for me to attach it. Now the question is, since this is going to be displayed in a very prominent area of the house, should I machine bind, or hand sew? I'll have to decide before I get home this evening.

Comments

Popular Posts