Think about this.....

...the only thing scarier then reaching out to the unknown is settling for that with which we are comfortable.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Pins

Total Eclipse has a lot of curved piecing. Originally, on Thursday, when I started putting this beast together, I wasn't able to use my fine, shorter pins to join the convex/concave curves together. Nor was I able to use my not-so-fine, shorter pins. Both types were occupied keeping the blocks on the design wall.

I started out using my longer 2" heavier pins and I did a lot of unsewing because puckers in nearly every curve started showing their ugly face. You wouldn't think a mere pin would cause such a difference in sewing pieces together, would you?

When I started out yesterday I remembered to change out pins and started using those beautiful, wonderful, amazing fine pins and eureka, no puckers. Here is the top of Total Eclipse ready for quilting!

Total Eclipse Top
A big thank you to Papa and Caleb for making the fabric possibilities work in this piece! I think this is one of my favorite quilts so far, and it may end up going to the fair, depending on whether I can obtain the backing and quilt it properly for such an event.

After this large undertaking, I moved to a smaller project on my table. We are playing bingo at quilt camp this year, and at guild on Thursday, I picked up my fabric pieces to make my bingo card. I whipped it out so quickly that I decided to play with some quilting within each square. It's not neat, but it was fun to just play on my machine for a change.

B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o.
Now that Total Eclipse is done, I can put up my row-by-rows given to me on Thursday; minus Marys row, of course. I'm going to do that right now before I finish blogging.

OMG, my rows are amazing. Each has its own personality and I have them up on the wall. Since I chose such a busy theme, it's going to take me a few days to see how I'm going to incorporate them together. On the wall, right on top of each other, it's way too busy. I'm going to have to set some sashing between each of the rows and around the borders I think.

Each row has some orange, green, and purple in them. This quilt will end up replacing Pie in the Sky in the kitchen and with our accent wall being a darker pumpkin-ish color and, the remaining walls being a lighter blue, I think I'll head that way with the sashing strips. So many possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment