Tools of the Trade

One of the many tools a quilter relies so heavily on is the iron. I have a very expensive Rowenta.


I paid a lot of coin for this thing and I actually love how it handles, it's weight, and the pointy end that can get into creases really well. What I don't like is the incontinence it has displayed recently. I can't put any water into it for my steam feature. If I do it does this...


Poops out brown stuff all over the place and I do a lot of white work for it to be having this issue.

I've tried cleaning it, descaling it, etc. I emptied it every time I was finished with it (which was a pain) and no matter the attempts at getting it to stop leaking and pooping, it doesn't seem to work. I think it's time for a new iron.

I was wondering if the Oliso iron was any better? From the reviews I get on Amazon and other resources, it doesn't sound like it for the money you pay; $149 and up!

However, the same resources indicate the Black and Decker Digital Advantage D2030 is a far better deal and the cost of it is pretty reasonable; $44. While I don't absolutely NEED a new iron, since my Rowenta is still heating, I would like to get my steam feature back because using water out of my spray bottle just isn't the same! Another back burner item I fear.

I finished my Stitch Bible last night!



It turned out pretty well and I'm so happy with how Temp does his stitches. No fuss and very little back talk from him. I can't wait to get my permanent Janome Memory Craft later this summer (after I've paid it off) to actually get him totally settled.

I have signed up for yet another Craftsy class. I can't continue on with my Stupendous Stitching class until I obtain a couching foot for either of my machines. Neither of them have one that came with them so it's something I have to purchase separately. Meanwhile, Craftsy is having a class sale and I am now taking Feathers with Angela Walters (I love her energy and teaching style).

I am so balking at working with feathers in a "real" quilt so I think maybe putting on a practice piece of material on DW will help with my huge mental learning block on these things. I'm so excited to be able to finally get some feathers into some of my quilts and overcome my feather fears!

Comments

  1. Feathers are just halves of hearts. Wrap your brain around that and they get a LOT easier. (Not that I can draw a half a heart to save my life, but at least it seems a lot less daunting than a whole mess of feathers...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts