This Weeks Lessons

I have learned three things this week about long arm quilting.

1. Stitching slower, on complicated motifs, when in computer mode, seems to create less stress on all parts involved.
2. Stitching at more stitches per inch creates a smoother motif and this is especially true when stitching complicated motifs.

The pic below can attest to the first two lessons.


This didn't come out so good on the first go-around because I had my standard 12 stitches per inch selected on DW. The above is the result of a 16 spi setting and I think it looks much better!

3. When the computer motors are engaged, it is much easier to "ditch quilt" than when I am just in the free motion setting. It creates a little more drag and is easier to guide the long-arm machine itself doing straight line stitching.

And perhaps a 4th lesson this week is when wanting to complete a quilt by a certain in-my-own-head deadline, don't count on that happening because somebody will either call (Caleb via Skype) or stop by for a visit (mom, right after hanging up the Skype call with Caleb).

This was supposed to be done, at least to my way of thinking, yesterday evening. However, life happens and the deadline chosen was not met. I'll finish this out today so maybe, just maybe, No Guilt will get on the frame yet before the weekend is done.

Baby DeGroot's first quilt

I have another baby quilt in mind for our first grandchild (we have learned it is going to be a boy) but will work on getting this first one done first and then worry about what I have in my head later on.



Comments

Popular Posts