No Guilt Quilt Is Finished!

Probably one of the longest times it took me to complete (a whole year) considering how much I really wanted to get it finished. It's such a fun little quilt that I'm sure the grandkids will fight over who will be sleeping under it.

No Guilt Quilt

Close up of some of the quilting
I free motioned the whole quilt (no use of the computer). Each of the treats were echo quilted; I ditch quilted between borders and sashing strips; I swirl quilted in the black border, and the cup of soda, I put in pebbles to resemble bubbles coming off the top of the cup. I did not quilt within the appliqué pieces because I wanted the quilt to be snuggly. If the pieces pucker after the quilt is washed the first time that's okay because comfort food is not really all that perfect.

Next up, quilt camp. I took Laura out of her bag from our sew-in weekend and gave her a good cleaning. I took inventory of my needles and other needed items and added to all the necessary areas. I feel like I'm ready to head north. Now all I have to do is pack my own clothes. 

Jim surprised me yesterday by asking about Amazon Star. A fellow quilter is tackling this very intricate design during camp and she and I are about the same skill level. I have had the pattern for a while and knew the fabric was going to be extremely expensive to purchase, but we found our way down to the Marshall House to look for said fabric and wow, it's going to be gorgeous!

Here's what the general idea is behind the quilt itself.

Amazon Star
The colors we selected will not be like these given colors. My colors will be grey and ice/dark blues. I wanted to mimic the actual stars we look out at each night from our back deck and most everybody who has tackled this project has been too afraid to venture outside of their box. Thankfully, I'm not like everybody.

The directions for this quilt are 26 pages long. Each piece of the pattern and the fabric has to be painstakingly cut prior to even beginning to sew. Once the pattern pieces are cut, they are sorted and put into section bags to keep them straight and organized. The same holds true for the fabric pieces. 

I have had my pattern pieces cut out for a number of months now, so the remainder of today will be cutting my fabric pieces and organizing them. Cathy and I will be "star" buddies throughout camp to lean on and ask questions to when we become confused or frustrated, which, from the look of all the directions, may be very often.

Comments

Popular Posts