International Quilt Festival

Chicago was a blast! I met so many people and talked with so many reps, and the quilts...OMG! Most of the first half of my arrival was spent googling and admiring the many quilts on display at this event. This little "craft" has certainly turned out some amazing artists and I can only hope the growth continues as time passes.

Words do not exist to summarize what I experienced yesterday and I just have to say, if you're really into quilts and the quilting process, attendance at one of these larger events is a certain must on your bucket list.

I came away with too many ideas to remember and I only hope I live long enough to even tackle a few of my "to do's" just from this show alone.

I look forward to attending the Grand Rapids AQS show later this summer to get even more inspiration and ideas as well as another dose of an artistic jolt.

Today brings me back to my little corner of the quilting world and I look forward to spending a quiet morning and afternoon to bask in my findings, purchases, and creativity. I have people coming later this afternoon and will have to cut off my day at that time, but I can enjoy the sunshine coming through the window as spring continues to just spread its wings.

Thursday I completed block number two in my Arcadia Avenue adventure. Here are both of them side by side. This block did not have as many pieces as the first; only 156. I like the colors mom assisted me in choosing and feel like this is going to be a beautiful piece at completion.

Fly Away and Peacock Feathers from Arcadia Avenue
The little Sugar Block 2013 BOM is coming along nicely too. I didn't get it finished Thursday, but here is one of the blocks and some of my creative quilting.

Creative quilting
Which reminds me...I played with a number of long-arms and sit-down quilting machines yesterday in the vendor section of the show. I found my favorite machine (which, unfortunately was WAY out of my price range but was bar none, totally above the rest of the long-arms). The new Bernina long-arming machine is definitely the Mercedes of machines. But it's price tag is $10K more then DW was.   And, surprisingly, the Viking sit-down was my preference in that category. Handi Quilter (which is what DW is) came in third and second respectively for my selection, and right behind the Bernina long-arm I was pretty impressed with the A-1 machine. Very smooth, user friendly, but it's frame was a bit tinky; DW has it beat in that category.

Where I'm going with this is that it's fun to try out new things and to compare apples with apples. And, part of my long-arm selection was other factors such as service and availability. HQ has a rep only 45 minutes away and I can take care of all the other considerations basically right at my back door. The other machines (I learned yesterday) did not have representation anywhere near close enough and so I should be happy I choose correctly when investing in a high ticket item such as this.

I can't wait to fire up my machines and play with what I already have here at home. I am so thankful I got to see others play with them yesterday and I'm proud and very happy I have what I do right here for my creativity and enjoyment. Life is good and with more knowledge and experience, will just continue to get better and better.

Comments

Popular Posts