Mega Hexy

When you design a quilt from scratch, much of the time is spent measuring, doing math, measuring some more, cutting, sewing, ripping, re-cutting, re-sewing and hoping it all works out. Here is where I ended up Friday night.

Here's a giant Grandmothers Flower Garden. Now what?
I had to decide whether I wanted to finish the quilt off as it was, or go a little further with it. Did I really want to tackle all those weird binding angles and furthermore, would the finished product really lend itself to being a useful quilt in this particular shape?

I decided "No" on both accounts. The binding would have been do-able, but the second question was of more importance; would the quilt be usable and was I just making it to make it? I want my quilts to be loved and used and needed by somebody to keep warm, not just a blob of material that looks nice.

After arriving back home from our travels yesterday afternoon, I dug into more of my fat quarters and yards of fabrics and came up with enough light colors to surround the hexagon into a more manageable configuration.

More like a quilt shape now
This was another measuring, cutting, etc. dance and I was pretty tired of working with this after I got everything onto the design wall.

On to something else. Animal Whimsy is almost done. Only six more blocks to free motion and it'll be ready to get off the frame.

Our son and DIL in Lansing have moved into a new house and they need some art to put on the walls. I had my DIL pick out three cat pieces from The Marshall House quilt shop and I began one of those on Friday night as well. No pics yet, but they should turn out really cute and look nice in her kitchen once completed.

While at Gall yesterday, I had to ask the difference between a couching foot and a cording foot for my sewing machine. Two classes I'm currently enrolled in call for both feet to be used on future projects, and of course, neither Laura or Temp came with either of them. Cindy explained the difference and I'll have to invest in those in the near future.

Our long-arm class was a bust yesterday because the shop owner took the long-arm machines to Grand Rapids for the weekend quilt show up there.

Looking forward to my Bargello class on Thursday in Ann Arbor. There is some discrepancy in the directions that were supposed to have come to us for the class, but we are getting everything ironed out prior to the class beginning.

The T-Shirt quilt was delivered and the customer absolutely went nuts. He and his wife seemed to love what I did throughout the piece and he said his mom would probably cry when she received it for this upcoming Christmas. This alone is why I quilt. If I can make somebody happy about what they receive, it's certainly all worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts