Pondering

After I looked at and evaluated my intention for the quilting on my Amish Stars, decided to head in a totally different direction.

While I don't normally subscribe to the "quilt it to death" method of quilting my quilts, this one seemed to say it needed to be. I gave one of the stars a dry run yesterday and liked how the machine and I were working together through free motion and this is how the stars are being quilted with the beautiful variegated jewel-toned thread.


The grey star is the most boring of the 40 in the quilt and look how the thread works to pick up the color gradients all the stars share.

It takes a long time to do even one star. Most of yesterday was just doing the stars in the first row and I still have four more rows of stars to do.

The next question was what to do with the sashing and border areas. They aren't very wide; 3 1/2" finished, so I have to narrow down whatever I want to put there.


I consulted with an amazing fellow long armer last night and talked to other quilting friends at a meeting I attended and the consensus was to not use the variegated thread in the sashing/borders areas, but instead use a very black thread. My long arming friend suggested some other little details after building a large crosshatch motif within so I'm going to be doing some computer work to get the ideas all incorporated into those sections.

My dog is driving me nuts since Caleb has left for England. It's hard to focus on working on this piece so intensely with her constant whining. I think we'll crank up the tunes today to drown out her noise so I can continue on with my quilting adventures.

Comments

Popular Posts