Creativity is Fun!

My long arm came with a computer and an amazing program for that computer called Art and Stitch. Art and Stitch (or ANS) is a vector-based drawing program providing the ability to draw continuous objects and shapes through lines and curves.

The drawing my quilting friend provided on Tuesday night wasn't readily available in the default motifs provided in my computer, and as much as I tried to modify one that was really close, it just didn't seem to work out: Too many jumps and tie-offs between diamonds.

My next option was to create the motif in ANS. Most of yesterday morning, after I blogged, was creating the motif I wanted to fit in the area I wanted to put it in and figuring just how to draw in ANS since this is a brand new venture for me.

While it doesn't seem like a really difficult motif that I did draw, I did do it and had at first a very frustrating time with it, but with persistence and some colorful language, arrived at a result I could live with.

Once the motif is drawn, it has to be saved on a thumb drive and then put into the computer system that drives the quilting machine.

This is the result.



The star between all the "chains" was not my doing. That motif was actually already included with the basic motifs provided with the computer.

The chains, or continuous diamonds were actually what I did. Again, I know it doesn't look like much but I built the motif to fit what I needed and where I needed with all the correct dimensions and very little modifications having to be done. Once I figured out what I needed to do, it was pretty fun and look forward to spending some not-so-crunch-time time on the computer to design more motifs for my long arm machine.

As of this morning, I have two and a half rows done. My goal is to finish the quilting before the weekend, but I am going to yard sales with mom tomorrow all day (one particular guy, who stopped by our guild show this March, is selling his deceased wife's fabric-all of which he states she obtained at our local quilt shops).

Cue: Pandora!

Comments

Popular Posts