Friday the 13th


I thought it would be a great idea to journal how a quilt is created and how each of my quilts comes to life over the course of a few days, or even a few months. It depends entirely on the quilt design as well as the overall quilting I plan on doing.

First things first. When I receive fabrics, whether it be as a gift received from somebody, or whether I have purchased them from my local quilt shop (LQS), the fabric immediately goes into the washer and dryer. The soap used on my fabrics is called Orvus Paste soap, which is actually a soap used for washing livestock...mainly horses. But it doesn't contain any dyes, perfumes, synthetic petroleum products, etc. It's the free-est free soap there is and therefore will not do any damage to my fabrics. They aren't getting any cheaper, just like everything else!

After the fabrics are washed, they go in the dryer with NO fabric softener sheets. These also contain petroleum products that can leave residues which are dust magnets. My fabrics are not stored in a dust-free environment, so I have to protect them any way that I can.


Comments

Popular Posts