Classes are Awesome!

I have met many a person along my life's path who thought they had all the knowledge they absolutely needed to know to complete their life's journey. Isn't that sad? While I am closing in on my 18th full year of building quilts, I still have a long way to go in honing my craft.

Knowledge is power and without it we have a tendency to do things our way...or just no way at all. The "our way" may be right...or it may be totally incorrect creating a longer or worse way of doing things.

Here's my example: The past two days have been spent with an instructor on how to do portrait quilts; something I've wanted to venture into for quite some time now. There were about 12 or so of us in the class and we were all very new to this technique. As Aniko explained each step, each student complied readily to do what she needed to do to keep progressing in a forward motion, except one.

Day two found the "sideways", or noncomplying student behind. And as additional steps were introduced, the student became even further behind. Aniko had to finally step in to take control of things because the student wasn't actually there as a student, she was there to work her way and no other. She wasn't listening and instead becoming frustrated and only completing what she was comfortable with. She wouldn't ask questions so she continued in this matter until Aniko finally recognized what was going on.

While we all have our way of doing things (methodically, or whatever), when taking a class or learning a new technique, listening is key. Step outside of your box, listen to the instructions, ask LOTS of questions and learn something new. Without this flexibility it is you that I hear mumble under your breath at meetings and exhibitions, "I could never do something like that," which to me is the hardest of all to hear.


Comments

Popular Posts