|Cheeseburger, I want my cheeseburger!|
|Taco's, get your taco's here.|
|This was under my machine being blanket stitched.|
I'm delving into a new facet of quilt making. I started this two days ago and have found it very therapeutic, yet very time consuming. I'm the guinea pig for this project just in case any other members of the family want one, but making a t-shirt quilt was on my quilting bucket list.
Jim and I have a cedar chest full of memories and many of those are t-shirts we've collected throughout our lives. Some of them are not in very good shape, but I decided to include them into the quilt because they are a significance of my life I feel is important. And, since this is my quilt, I have the final say, right?
And, I'm not making a traditional t-shirt quilt; most of the examples I've seen are set together with equal block sizes, with or without sashing strips in between each block. A book purchased earlier this week is teaching me how to get out of that box and steer the ship in a different direction.
Wednesday evening was spent going through the t-shirts and picking out ones I wanted to include in my experiment. After selecting about 18 of them, the next step was to iron, cut, attach interfacing to their backside, and then start designing the quilt on the wall.
I found I didn't have enough t-shirts cut. Can you believe it? I dug through the t-shirt pile once again and selected another six more to add to the quilt. This changed the whole layout (pretty much) and so back to the design wall we go. Once I arrived at a suitable layout, I started making deconstructed flying geese. These are flying geese that aren't measured or equally balanced. Wonky geese if you will.
I chose this method for two reasons: 1) I'm not balanced (giggle, giggle), and 2) I didn't want to be tied down to a traditional quilt-making method while wanting to have fun doing this uncharted project. I knew that I was going to be slow at it since it's so new to me, so I didn't want to loose interest after doing four or five of the fillers between each of the blocks.
I think too that I'm going to border each t-shirt in a wonky square so they appear even more randomly laid out. I have to remember how to do this since it's been a while.
The other project I've been working on the past few days is a challenge quilt set out by one of our ASQ guild members. It's an art quilt with four self thought out nouns to build the quilt upon. It's only a small piece (less then 20" square), but it occupied most of my Monday and Tuesday, as well as Wednesday morning. I have put it aside though because I have some questions about the challenge parameters and need to ask the challenge person for clarification.