More then Quilts

I found a few little decorative/quilting projects to do in the internet Friday morning. It's always a good thing to find this stuff. Then, I received a phone call from one of the cousins and she informed me of a lady in Charlotte who was selling a bunch of quilting fabric! Yeah!!! Jim had to head home this afternoon for a tooth extraction so we headed to the yard sale to check out what Amber Lynn called me about. Wow! What a find! We picked up about 33 yards of fabric and a few miscellaneous bags of fat quarters, as well as a bag of really cute scraps. I'll use the scraps in my two new patterns I found that morning.

Meanwhile, Jim's nephew called and said they were coming back to Michigan the second weekend in October. Yes, they'll be staying with us. Where are we going to put them (upstairs or down since they're bringing not only Owen (their son), but their nephew as well? Since there's more room downstairs, we settled on that. Dilemma though! Ugly bathroom/utility room down there.

I had been grumbling about this room since we moved into this house. I hated going in it and tried to think of some inexpensive way to improve its looks. We came up with some ideas that weren't going to break the bank and took off with what we came up with.

The whole "renovation" is going to come under $100. First we had to paint the ceiling. Thankfully, Jim handled that daunting task because we used a pounded green to make all the wood, piping, etc. more uniform in color.

After he left for work on Monday, I continued to paint all the walls a very stark white. What a huge difference!! However, since the walls were a very bright and imposing yellow, it was clear one coat was not going to be enough. Today I had to apply the second coat.

I then fashioned what I'm called swags for the ceiling. They are random lengths and widths of fabric to drape from truss to truss to create some esthetically pleasing effects intermingling with the pip works above. The fabric I used has a white background but with various colored circles within it. Once I pinned those up, the room started really taking shape.

My painting from this morning was dry after hanging the swags so I could now start painting bright circles throughout the room to break up the stark white walls and add to the playfulness of our makeover. However, the paint I picked up this morning between projects was the incorrect paint type. I then began rethinking just how to do these circle-things on the walls. I thought maybe some fabric circles instead of painting, but then after talking to Andrew, decided to maybe just do some quilted wall hangings instead.

Funnily enough, I saved a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial on doing circle quilts just recently. A sign maybe? I'll do a few blocks tomorrow and see what becomes of my efforts.

Comments

Popular Posts