Baker's Dozen

I found this pattern a few weeks ago and attempted it with whatever scraps I had downstairs. After having four or five of the panels done, I was not pleased at all with the results. Call it scrap burnout I guess. My scraps are becoming repetitive and I'm in the need for some new materials I think.

I remembered that my mom purchased several charm packs for me at Christmas and knew that one of them was a brightly colored pack called Cuzco and decided that these fun fabrics would probably look nice in this quilt rather then the subdued scraps I tried the first time.

I liked the initial results when I started remaking the panels and decided I needed to make a trip to the Marshall House to obtain the remaining fabric to complete the panels; and of course the rest of the top. I decided to use a white polka dot I had laying around in my yardage shelves for the background, so I only needed one or two more charm packs and the teal and dark green for completion.

This is the result of my undertaking.

I think Jim felt sorry for me after reading my last post and accompanied me to the Marshall House for an additional project. He knew that Baker's Dozen wouldn't keep me going for the whole week (I had it completed on Monday night actually) and asked what I wanted to make next.

I absolutely love a trial of the New York Beauty I attempted last summer (see above). These are the four blocks I assembled and it lives on our sunporch wall. I admire that piece often and have always wanted to make at least a small quilt with this stunning pattern. Jim and I discussed a few color options and the fact that our living room wall needed a new quilt to hang since the current quilt sports more of the Christmas-y look. We decided together to purchase fabric to at least do a smaller version of Peggy Martin's Autumn Splendor in the New York Beauty format.

I have 12 of the 16 blocks currently done and think the Japanese prints we purchased for the background will go very well with our butter and burgundy colors in the living room. More to come...

Comments

  1. Hi Colette. Just signed up as a follower. Love the quilts you are working on. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words Cathy! I love making the quilts and since I've pretty much filled up my house I make them for magazines and local charities. Some times I will get a quilt to do for a family or friend, but for the time being, I just keep sewing away for anybody who I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts